We’ve all felt that feeling… stepping out of sky high heels after a long night of dancing, then gently stepping onto the floor only to feel like your Achilles is paralysed! Luckily, we at Freelance have some amazing tips to help you avoid that dreaded high heel hangover…
1. Wear heels more often
Yes! It may sound crazy, but wearing a kitten/small heel most days actually gets your muscles familiar with the contractions experienced when wearing those new killer heels. Just like going to the gym, if the muscle group you’re working isn’t used to it, you’re going to feel it the next day.
Stretch, stretch, stretch!
– Place feet flat on the floor, bend down and try to touch your toes, hold for 15 seconds, relax then repeat a few times daily
– Spread toes out away from each other, then lift toes individually and repeat
– Downward dog stretch Performed daily, these stretches will help relax the muscles most affected by heel wear Photo
– Roll a frozen water bottle over the soles of your feet after a long day in heels
– Have your partner give you a 15-minute foot massage on the couch while catching up on the latest Game of Thrones episode
– Follow the massage with a long soak in a bath filled with Epsom salts and essential oils. (Epson salts is loaded with magnesium which the body can use to build and repair tissue, while essentials oils will help you relax and unwind.)
4. Wear heels with a platform
This will help offset some of the pressure when you’re walking. Go a step further by adding some silicone gel inserts for added comfort.
5. Quality Quality is everything when it comes to what you wear.